Saturday, June 2, 2012

general mail

So I discovered the other day "General Mail"

This is where one can mail the post office a box, put general mail on it, and then the post office will hold it there for 30 days!

So, I can send myself boxes and care packages to Anchorage, Fair banks, and even tiny towns like Tok.

Apparently this is how the PCT people do it (Pacific Crest Trail).

I'm so excited.  This is a glorious service that the post office gives that speaks to an older time, with a smaller population.  If more people used this, it wouldn't be possible.  And in other ways it reminds me of the library.  the Library has a lot of awesome possibilities, and I think it currently give great services.  It's likes a free university.  It's sad that it's not more used.  And also, libraries should lend out more than just books.

There's a lot of potential there.  Bike collectives remind me of libraries.  And it's funny that there are now web starts ups that pop up and enable sharing, and lending, and the reality is that they are fulling the role of the library.  Why is the library failing to do these things.  To re-invent itself.

If I become a philanthropies.  I will work on reinventing libraries.




No comments:

Post a Comment