Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Edmonton bike thief steals dream trip - Edmonton - CBC News

Edmonton bike thief steals dream trip - Edmonton - CBC News

the idea of this happening to me mid trip is one of the scariest thoughts... It's eerily spooky to see the black surly, even tho mine is a cross check, not a long haul...)


if he fund raises, i will definitely throw down...

i've thought about purchasing a crazy hub, (rohloff speedhub) but they cost like a 1000 dollars.  I thought about asking for one as a gear grant, but i just can't imagine having something so expensive on my bike.

I'm pulled between being a total gear geek, and having the cheapest, most replaceable bike.  I've had my touring bike stollen, it sucks, i cried.  Luckily i had not tricked out the components, I bought another surely cross check and once it was assembled out the box, i didn't feel like i was riding a different bike.

Same thoughts float through my mind when it comes to camping gear.  Already my set up has cost me:

200 tent
 80 sleeping pad
120 sleeping bag
 60 stove
 50 mess kit
200 panniers (tho i made them, retail i would have paid)
100 bike tools 
810 (spent over 3 years and 3 major bike tours)

So far i've gotten all my clothing used or repurposed...  but i contemplate wool leggings from icebreaker, oooo, but $85.  If the inevitable happens, and someone steels even one bag, while they might not be able to sell these things, i will be out 100's of dollars.

Also, seeing how i want to believe that everyone should bike tour, but i will not be leading any kind of example if i spend thousands of dollars on my set up.  Again, a gear library, i know it's going to happen.  


3 comments:

  1. don't get the rohloff, I don't think it's the best idea for touring, it's hardly servicable and you could be caught out without working gears. I think also it's cables are proprietary(not positive) which could lead to other problems. a classic derailleur could be easily replaced and worked on as could the hub it is used with. The new VO touring hubs can be taken apart by hand for repair. http://vimeo.com/23857739
    On another note, we should talk about you're panamerica trip, if your US part happens to be in the summer I'd like to join you for as much of it as I can manage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice, it does seem like a very specialized hub. This isn't necessarily a good thing. I will post a calendar of the ride soon, and will continue talk on this blog. I would love for you to come!

    i want to check with you, i'm making a flyer for bike farm volunteers and i used the picture i took of you at bikerowave. there's something about it (particularly you) that i like a lot and it feels like the genuine goodness of volunteering.. i shall post for you to see.

    ReplyDelete