Tuesday, July 26, 2011

grants... the beginnings

I've found myself at the portland library.  I'm doing grant research for the first time.
But all i want to do is read blogs about bike culture.  I want a lot of things but what i probably should be doing, is looking for grants.  Even though the library is a great resource for grant writing, and it allows you to search through all the grantors in the USA, it's still a mess.
Either my search is to narrow, and I find nothing, or my search is broad and I wonder, should I really ask re-max realty for money?


I worked for a company once that donated to causes...
My company got it's tax deduction from Non-profits who the owners knew personally or had a history with.  The owners used the 10k donation, or what ever it was, that was given yearly to boost their egos and help out their friends.
Why would any of these organizations be any different.
And honestly, why should they give bike farm money.


I think i like kick starter better, i like kiva too.  There is something really wrong with our grant system.  Or at least, it's not for the little guys.
Or, i don't know,


Maybe there's something wrong with bike farm.  Even if I could get a grant, which for some reason I think I can, if it were for something like build bikes, who would manage it?  who would make sure it actually happened, the money went somewhere, people got on bikes?


Frank?  while he runs the rest of the shop?  no, we are just a community bike shop.  It's hard enough just to keep our doors open.  And while, grantors love to see programs and measurable effect, reality is that we do the best good by just being consistently open.  Maybe I should be writing grant to make Bike Farm free (though i have some philosophical questions about the benefit of "free")

What do we really need? volunteers,
We just need the people to see us and care about us.  Maybe we do need advertising...
Maybe we should do a kick start.
Not for the money, but for the publicity...


yes,,,
this is what we need.
I've realized this before, now it becomes apparent, we not only do not need a document library as much as we need volunteers, but we also don't need money, as much as we need volunteers.

No comments:

Post a Comment